The term LEED® is still unknown to many. Some renters have heard of LEED apartments, but don’t know what it means. Most are unaware of the full benefits such eco-friendly housing offers.
What is LEED?
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is an international recognized green building certification system developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). The voluntary LEED program provides third party verification that a project meets guidelines set by the USGBC for achieving high performance and sustainability through green design, construction, operation and maintenance. It encourages green building practices and recognizes those meeting the standards for improved:
- energy saving
- water efficiency
- CO2 emissions reduction
- indoor environmental quality
- stewardship of resources
- sensitivity to the impact of development on natural resources
A variety of LEED rating systems now exist, including LEED For Homes. Registered projects meeting prerequisites for achieving LEED certification are given points for each requirement on the checklist met. The total number of points determines the level of certification achieved. The basic level is LEED Certified. Additional points bring Silver, Gold or Platinum certification, the highest level achievable. Reaching even the basic level requires tremendous dedication.
Why Live in LEED Certified Apartments
If you're not yet convinced why you should live in LEED certified apartments, consider just these few reasons:
- Developers of LEED certified apartments create less of an impact on natural resources than those developing traditional apartment homes; they responsibly try to conserve resources and work to help sustain the environment
- A demand for LEED apartments encourages other developers to pursue LEED certification
- When an apartment property is LEED certified, you KNOW it’s green
- By living in a LEED certified apartment, you’re helping to sustain the environment
- The indoor air quality is better in LEED certified apartments; you can breathe easier and feel healthier
- LEED apartments require less energy and water usage, an environmental and economical benefit
- LEED apartments often offer onsite recycling and other incentives that make it convenient for residents to live an eco friendly lifestyle
What to know more? Contact us.